From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 11:02:36 -0400
D. Stephen Heersink wrote:

>Given that Cleveland is perhaps the best American symphony, and perhaps
>the best in the world, most of this greatness has come from visiting
>conductors, not von Dohnanyi.

Just being picky, and you did say perhaps in both cases.  Cleveland is a
great great orchestra, but in the US, when the New York Philharmonic is on,
wow.  In the world, I can't say I've ever been knocked to my knees by any
orchestra the way I have, several times, by the Vienna Philharmonic.  And
I have been very impressed over the years by the London Symphony, the
Berlin Philharmonic, and, recently, the Philharmonia.

But I'd take Cleveland for my local Boston Symphony any time.

Roger Hecht