From:
"Robert M. Stumpf II" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:46:51 -0400
Karl Miller notes:

>I found that list to be quite odd.  Who on earth would think so highly
>of Boult, other than the British.  I don't mean to slight his fine
>accomplishments, but so high on the list...
>
>I also wondered about the criteria used in the selection process.  For me,
>rating von Karajan anywhere near the top says something about those who
>voted.

The list did not suggest rankings per se, rather those conductors who
happened to be on lists.  That is, HvK was on more lists than those
mentioned before him but less than those who came afterwards.  I fear that
some people are taking the list to mean rankings of quality.  No, it is
quantity.

Peace,
bob stumpf
http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/maestrno/