From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:32:10 +1100
Mitch Friedfeld's current obsession with Winterreise seems appropriate
to the weather I've been reading of in the north of the planet while I'm
enjoying the delights of early summer (gloat, snigger).  I recall a list
member, Philip Peters, who's either lurking or left, and who had many
versions (100+, IIRC) of Winterreise.  A search of the archives in
search of his views on other versions might be useful.

Mitch asked about others' obsessions.  My obsession - if that's the right
word - is to start the day's listening with a work in a particular genre
by the same composer, so, eg, I've recently heard all the Simpson string
quartets chronologically in this way, am currently listening to Martinu's
quartets and so on.  I find it stimulating.

Richard Pennycuick