From:
Patrik Enander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 00:04:34 +0200
Peter Varley wrote:

>One must also be a little bit careful about recommendations in favour of
>British labels, particularly EMI, in British magazines.

It's "the Gramophone disease"

I am an avid reader of Gramophone, but..... I sometimes wonder:

1. Has Simon Rattle ever recorded something that wasn't very good?
2.    "    Gardiner                      "
3. Has Hyperion ever made a bad recording?
 etc....

Of course I am exaggerating a bit, but it has struck me every year when
they announce the Gramophone awards, that so many recordings are made by
 English people

When I was new to classical music Gramophone was my "bible", but as I
became more experienced it was a relief to borrow my friends Fanfare or
ARG and to find that Fonoforum was available in Goteborg so that I
could get other points of view

Patrik