From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 16:00:22 PDT
Mimi Ezust wrote:

>My good friend Don (check the archives February 2000) gave me much
>laughter with his own version of the Well-Tempered ClavierSatz, but he
>could have been describing any twenty-four other pieces by any random
>twenty-four composers.  I cannot and would not reconstruct the music I
>hear and feel from his own words about his own personal vision of Bach.

Mimi is right.  Personal visions of music are unique to the individual just
as Mimi's response to my stated images of each Bach prelude and fugue is
unique on her part.

Concerning Bach program vs. non-programmed music, I find that my
imagination gets very limited with programmed music because the "program",
assuming I'm aware of it, dominates.  With his non-programmed music, the
sky is the limit.  I might have images, might not, but those I do have
spring from a combination of my experiences, chemical make-up,
immediate/temporal concerns, and elements of the music which trigger those
images.  They are *my* images and in no way a statement of the messages
Bach is trying to convey, if any.  However, those images have much to do
with my conclusions about the music and the performances.

Don Satz