From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:42:37 -0500
William Hong wrote:

>Bob Draper wrote:
>
>>Let me give you an example.  When I first heard Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
>>on the radio 15 years ago it was played by someone like the BPO or VPO.
>>I liked it so I went out and bought Christopher Hogwood's version.  This
>>was like listening to a completely different piece of music and I was
>>disappointed.  Of course I didn't know much about music then.  Now, I
>>realise that Hogwood is closer to 'Truth'.
>
>Yes, it's probable the performance practices are closer to what Mozart
>might have been used to, versus the BPO/Karajan version with which I first
>got to know the work.  Nevertheless, a lot of folks on this List don't
>really care much for Hogwood in anything he does, though I don't count
>myself among them.  Whether it's closer to the "truth", ultimately won't
>matter to those who simply don't like the approach.

I want to point out one error to these past two posts.  "Eine Kleine" was
performed by a string quartet made up from members of Hogwood's Academy of
Ancient Music.  Apart from possible conversations with the players,
Hogwood's only other role with this work -- inspired by Alfred Einsteins
theory, no doubt -- was to add an extra minuet movement to the traditional
4 movement form.  (The new movement comes from a student of Mozart if
memory serves.) Hogwood *was* involved as a conductor in other aspects
of the same recording, leading his ensemble in renditions of "Serenada
Notturna" and the "Serenade for Four Orchestras."

Mark K. Ehlert