From:
John Proffitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:01:50 -0600
Zack Winestine wrote:

>A strong recommendation for Szell's recording of Bruckner's Third, the
>studio recording with the Cleveland Orchestra.  I listen to this on LP --
>I'm not entirely sure if it was available on CD).  It's a brilliant and
>seductive performance in (for Columbia) very decent sound.  ...

It is available on a 2-CD Sony Essential Classics set, paired with
a splendid performance of the Eighth.  However, buyer beware!  The
remastering of the Third imposes a severe editing defect on the Scherzo
of the Third--one entire passage is simply omitted.

To the best of my knowledge, Sony has never remedied this defect.

John M. Proffitt
General Manager & C.E.O.
Radio Station KUHF-FM