From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 13:17:03 -0400
Aaron Rabushka wrote:

>Dorati's recordings of these symphonies are very fine, and I would
>recommend them over Bernstein.  Collegium Aureum (semi-HIP) has some
>very good recordings of 82 (they leave out the trumpets), 83, 85, & 87.

Dispensing with trumpets in 82 is an option, as the score indicates horns
in C *alto* or trumpets, but there seems to be evidence that Haydn really
preferred only horns.  Alto horns with, or in place of trumpets in C has a
long precendence in Haydn's symphonic writing, perhaps most spectacularly
in #48, the oft-purported "Maria Theresia".

>Colin Davis does a great job on #86, possibly on the rest as well.  If
>your search for Paris symphonies extends through #88 don't miss Reiner.

I believe that if one looks at the circumstances involving their
commission, symphonies Nos.  88-92 could also be considered "Paris"
symphonies.  And yes, that includes the "Oxford", which FJH didn't compose
for the occasion of receiving his doctorate from that institution--rather,
it was something he had "at hand".

Bill H.