From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:20:36 PDT
Tony Duggan responds to Nick Perovich:

>>I tend to discount British reviews of British artists, as I, rightly or
>>wrongly, suspect that they are inflated.
>
>We could say that we discount American reviews of American artists for the
>same reason.  But we don't because I'm sure that they are not.  So why DO
>you think we British especially are incapable of being objective about our
>own artists.

This issue has come up on the list before, and my opinion remains the same.
It's natural for persons of a nation to have pride in their country and
its citizens.  To what degree, if any, this national pride might impact
the recommendations in a record review is up for grabs.  You have to gain
familiarlarity with a particular reviewer to glean any insight on this
matter.  Overall, I pay attention to every review regardless of what
country it comes from.  Otherwise, I could come up with all kinds of
reasons to discount every review I read.

Don Satz