From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:46:47 -0700
Hey there, friends of the MCML, I have never been much of an opera buff.
I LOVE choral music and songs(lieder) and most everything sacred.  I just
never grew to like opera much (with the exception of works by Purcell and
other early masters).  From all the opera I have heard I can say that I
MUCH prefer the late German operas to those by the Italian masters or
others.  Anyway, I was wondering if you kind folks had any suggestions for
Wagner's Ring cycle.  The recordings I have seen are absolutely mammoth and
I don't want to spend a lot on a bad recording.  Saving myself from the
hassle of having to return the recording would be a treat too.  So this is
the first time I am asking for suggestions.  I have heard good things about
Solti.  (I think it was with Nilsson?) I really don't know.  I would like
the same honest suggestions for Strauss' Elektra and Salome.  What I have
heard from these works was beautiful.  Anyway, I would really appreciate
your suggestions.  Thank you ever so much!

Wes Crone (trying hard to move on past his long-time dislike for opera)