From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 2009 15:48:28 -0700
Gerhard Griesel wrote:

>They played Peer Gynt 1, Grieg's piano concerto and then Sibelius'
>Symphony 4.  I listened to my CD recording of the latter twice before
>going, and I wonder what listers think of this work.

Over the years I have heard most of the music of Sibelius.  The only
work of his that has much meaning for me is the 4th Symphony.  I find
it to be his masterpiece and one of the few truly great works of music.
For me,the first movement speaks of the most profound notions of our
experience of life and looks beyond, not unlike the late quartets of
Beethoven, or a handful of other pieces which also move me in the same
way.

I know that it is not a work for everyone.  Yet for me, unlike some
of his other works, I never find any of it to overstay its welcome.
The finale seems almost like a forced attempt to find joy, or perhaps
"salvation." However, towards the end, it seems to lose that joy and
leaves us with the enigma that is life.

Karl