From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 14:03:55 -0800
Bacher, Stephen E. wrote:

> What puzzles me is this: if they used a recording because the
> instruments couldn't be kept in tune due to the cold, but they still
> played live so that proximate audience members could hear them,
> didn't that mean those audience members heard both in-tune and
> out-of-tune music at the same time?

That is exactly what happened.  And it explains two things: the eye-rolling
that the musicians did, and the earpieces that many people saw.  The
earpieces allowed them to play in synch with the recorded music.  The
actual live music must have sounded dreadful, especially when juxtaposed
with the recording.  Talk about polyphony!

Mitch Friedfeld