From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:02:07 -0600
Don Satz:

>I do have a question for Zeev - what in the world does your brother
>like so much about the Goode set?

I don't know about Zeev's brother, but I, for one, like the Goode set.
It may not be outstanding, in the class of Schnabel or Solomon (it is
definitely not in that class), but overall I thought it a very good job.
There are, unfortunately, 5-10 Beethoven piano sonatas I will not really
understand or enjoy (Sonata No.  1's a good example), so I might not be
a true Beethovenian.  By the way, I dislike Kempf's Beethoven, both the
stereo and the early lp sets -- too heavy, klunky, and portentous.
Admirers of these sets will likely consider these very qualities solid,
dramatic, and powerful.

By the way, anybody know a good recording of the Eroica variations?

Steve Schwartz