From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 22:39:04 -0400
Donald Satz wrote:

>Chandos.  Although I don't think much of this "sing it in English" business,
>it must be very popular.

It's not new if it's the Mackerras.  I have three recordings of this
opera, and Mackerras may be my favorite.  Not just because I like operas in
English but I think Mackerras really brings this piece alive.  Jilek is the
general recommendation.  He's more "authentic" but the piece blooms more in
Mackerras's hands, and Chandos has better sound.  It has more of a feeling
of a show or musical, and in this particular opera, that is not a slight.

Roger Hecht