From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:45:05 GMT
The other night, I happened to tune into the TV show "Who wants to be a
millionaire," not one of my favorites.

There was a question about who wrote the the Wedding March: Mozart, Wagner,
Strauss and Handel.  The "correct" answere was Wagner!

I always thought that Mendelssohn wrote it as part of A Midsummer's Night's
Dream.

Would anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks.

Ron Chaplin

 [Actually, I believe the question was something along the lines
 of who wrote the wedding march popularly known as "Here comes
 the bride"?  There are two wedding marches in common use, one by
 Mendelssohn, and one by Wagner.  It's the Wagner that has been
 popularized as "Here comes the bride".  Mendelssohn's has no
 popular lyrics I know of.  -Dave]