From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:03:04 GMT
Ray Bayles writes:

>Hopefully, somebody will come along and find a way to make classical
>music profitable.

Sounds like a 'TALL' order.  I can't imagine classical music ever becoming
popular on its own steam.  It would have to become attached to another
source which 'is' very popular - the golfer Tiger Woods or professional
wrestling, or international soccer.  These would be very 'TALL' orders to
achieve.

Personally, I don't think any of the above will take place.  There might
well be a time when classical music is deleted from the radio all together
except in the largest markets.

Concerning the premise that serious classical music fans don't buy much of
anything and are scorned by advertisers, there's likely much truth to that.
I find that classical music fans are very discriminating in their overall
purchases to the point where they might appear rather "cheap".  I know that
outside of purchases for music oriented pleasures, I buy very little.
While everyone seems to be buying up cellular phones and using them
constantly, I'm contemplating throwing out the phones in my home - I hate
the invasion of privacy when that phone rings.  I can't even imagine why I
would want a cellular phone attached to my body so that folks could
interrupt me no matter where I was.

Don't call me - I'll call you,

Don Satz