From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:26:37 -0600
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>Dimly perhaps, but accurately.  The LP also had Richard Strauss's
>Festival Prelude (bombast, it's true, but I used to think it was *very*
>tongue-in-cheek), and Poulenc's Organ Concerto, the first version of
>this I ever heard.  The further we get from the LP era, the less it will
>be remembered that Ormandy did record a wide range of stuff and not the
>standard repertoire by which he's largely represented on CD. I still
>regret passing on a couple of Cowell symphonies (8 and 9, were they? on
>RCA? - anyone remember? Karl?) years ago and spending the money I had
>on something else.

To the best of my knowledge, Ormandy never recorded any Cowell.  He did
record the Ninth Symphonies of both William Schuman and Vincent Persichetti.

And on the subject of Ormandy, while I have never been a great fan
of his interpretations, he did do some interesting repertoire over the
years.  I have tapes of Ormandy doing things like the first performance
of the Barber Toccata (original version); Barber's Lovers; Rosza's
Hungarian Nocturne; Creston's First Symphony; Harris' Ninth Symphony;
VillaLobos' Ninth Symphony; Zador Children's Sym.; Piston's 7th, Lincoln
Center Festival Overture; Sowerby's Organ Con.  (not the classic concerto);
Zimbalist Piano Concerto; Busch Psalm No.6; Apostel Haydn Variations;
DelloJoio Colonial Variants; Einem Concerto for Orchestra; Diamond
Symphony No.7; Finney Symphony No.3; Gesensway Now Let the Night be Dark;
Ginastera Psalm 150; Henze Symphony No.3 (not very good job with that
one!) McDonald Violin Concerto, 2 Poems and My Country at War; Sessions
Symphony No.5; Martinu Symphony No.2, etc.

Karl