From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:38:27 -0700
Anne Ozorio <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hattogate may be over but not its signifigance.

Indeed, to my thinking, a very wise observation.

I must admit I found a great deal of irony in it all.  The collector
mentioned in the article, Lumpe, is known for having written some wonderful
articles, in the Journal of the Association of Recorded Sound Collections,
on labels that stole recordings and selling them, making up names for
the performers.  Lumpe did some great detective work tracking down the
sources...at least as far as we know.  He also has a huge collection of
recordings and has been most generous at sharing them with others.  I
can only assume he was taken in, but how ironic that someone who is so
careful about such things would be involved.

For me, the greater irony is, as we have discussed on this list, those
critics who did not value a particular recording at its first release,
but did value it when it was "performed" by Hatto.

I am reminded of the story of the Emperor's New Clothes...a most
interesting study in human nature.

Karl