From:
Daniel Paul Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 09:41:00 -0500
Billy Kitson wrote:

>>From the London Daily Telegraph Sunday:- The world's most successful living
>>composer is Furious with the Vatican after being told to shorten by 15
>>Minutes a score he is writing for the Millennium!!!  The rest of the
>>article I will only print if requested?!*

... and Deryk Barker pleaded:

>You might just give us the name...

Not having seen the article, I can only assume that this is a reference
to a mass being composed by Henryk Gorecki, which, to the very best of
my knowledge, is supposed to be sung at the Vatican by forces conducted
by John Nelson on Christmas Eve, 1999, as a way to usher in the Jubilee
year, decreed by the Pope for the year 2000.  Funds for the mass and its
performance are coming, at least in part, from the same sources who made
possible Maestro Nelson's Nonesuch recording of Gorecki's "Miserere," with
the choruses of the Chicago Lyric Opera and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
My information about this comes from very knowledgeable people close to the
project, and I trust that none of this is confidential.

DPHorn, hoping that Mr. Gorecki and His Holiness will come to a harmonious
settlement.