From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 08:18:18 -0600
Bernard Chasan wrote:

>Several writers have argued that music is music, and the different labels
>we use should be deemphasized.  Karen's perceptive remarks nicely underline
>what any listener must bring to classical music; stamina and the willingness
>to follow an extended and structured work.

I can remember listening to classical music as a kid and thinking, why
are these good parts separated by such long boring parts.  Some 40+ years
later I still have my favorite parts, but now I appreciate the "good
parts" even more since I can follow the rhetoric of the piece which gets
me to the "good parts."

I am reminded of a letter I read in Film Score monthly.  This particular
film music enthusiast wrote something like..."the problem with classical
music is that there is so much stuff between the good stuff.  With film
music, it's just the good parts."

In short, I agree with Bernard, for I sense, an appreciation of classical
music requires that one value the process.

Karl