From:
Keith Bramich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 01:06:19 +0000
This weekend at Music & Vision, read British composer and conductor Oliver
Knussen, in conversation with Roderic Dunnett:

   'How does Knussen set about composing? "Usually I compose a little
   bit - four or five bars - and then design the shape of the whole
   piece from that. Writing the piece becomes filling in the shape.
   The ingredients of a piece are almost invariably stated at the very
   beginning - I like putting my cards on the table. But I probably
   don't know, even at that stage, what a work is going to sound like;
   often enough the shape will alter subsequently." '

http://www.mvdaily.com/articles/2001/11/knussen1.htm?a

Music & Vision is Basil Ramsey's online classical music magazine, published
every day (including weekends) since 1 January 1999.  To read our latest
email newsletter, send a blank email to [log in to unmask]

http://www.mvdaily.com/?a

Keith Bramich, technical editor, M&V