From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 01:34:00 -0300
Dave Lampson wrote:

>Here's the most famous quote from the [Susan McClary's] book
>concerning Beethoven's Symphony #9:
>
>"The point of recapitulation in the first movement of the Ninth is
>one of the most horrifying moments in music....which finally explodes
>in the throttling, murderous rage of a rapist..."

Some listers had very furious reactions about this paragraph, but it's
just an example of bad rethorics.  I find Miss Mc Clary's statement
comprehensible: music has a wonderful power of suggestion, and sometimes
it takes the shape of our own fantasies...

Pablo Massa

 [Exactly.  This "analysis" tells us far more about McClary's fantisies than
 it does about the music or its relationship to gender issues.  -Dave]