From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 23:01:24 -0800
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Does anyone, maybe Kevin Sutton, have any idea why these stores consider
>it the bright thing to continue reordering the same inventory over and
>over and over? It appears to me to be a totally ignorant and short-sighted
>policy.  Simply ordering more of the same stuff because you sold it
>previously is not good planning when the items in question do not have
>mass appeal.  Or maybe I'm missing some piece of the puzzle.

Thanks for the nod Don.  The stores like Borders do not have a local
buyer for their stock.  The stock levels are set at the corporate buying
office (as a rule) and then are maintained by computer generated orders
thereafter.  The computer simply assumes that if you sell a widget, you
need to replace said widget.  It's not good planning because there is no
planning involved.  Humans are out of the picture at a very early stage.
Tower is the exception to this rule, but now, they too have succumbed
(spell-check, sorry it's late) to idiocy.

Kevin Sutton