From:
"Paul W. Hofreiter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 19:05:18 -0500
Speaking of crossing over, has anyone heard the new release of Chick
Corea's 1982 Piano Concerto? It's a fascinating piece, and, I believe,
a successful one.  If you are familiar with his jazz idiom, the concerto
is, of course, more controlled.  He apparently began the work after being
smitten by Mozart's concertos.  He purposely and purposefully uses an
orchestra similar to that of Mozart (save percussion and piccolo!) so that
he has been able to go on tour and perform both his piece and a particular
Mozart work.  On the CD is also a three movement orchestral version of his
hit, "Spain", featuring his group, Origin.  With his chromaticism and use
of quartal harmony, I can't help but see the link between Corea and
Bartok/Hindemith and the like, but with a decidedly fresh sound for
the 1980's.

Best,
Paul Wesley Hofreiter, Chair
The Lawrenceville School Music Department