From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 14:11:50 -0500
Dave presses several hot buttons:

>Perhaps some cello lovers agree with MHO if I say that this is the greatest
>cello work ever compossed.

It *is* a wonderful piece, but the absolute, indisputable greatest?

>Now, what about performers playing this specific work?

Starker is usually considered the standard (the first recording for EMI,
rather than his later remake).  However, cellist friends of mine claim that
Starker cheats by rewriting or omitting some of the *really* hard stuff.

Steve Schwartz