From:
Norman Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:49:56 EDT
Jim Lee writes:

>What Mehta did bring to the orchestra was a higher profile through the
>marketing done about him.  What he also did was make some absolutely
>dreadful appointments, a process he repeated in NY.

It's evident that the question of Mehta-bashing simply produces more of
the same.  As a NYP subscriber and attender of many of its open rehearsals,
I never witnessed a downhill trend nor a poor performance.  I have a variety
of Mehta's LA Phil, NY Phil and Israel Phil recordings and all of them are
excellent!  IMO the Mehta-bashing is just as was the Mitropoulos, Boulez,
and Bernstein bashing the preceded him.

I'd would like to see a listing of what are considered to be poor
recordings, performances or appointments.  Surely no-one considers Mr.
Dicterow to be a poor choice.

Let's have some hard facts rather than hearsay repetition of the SOS.
I'm not a musician but once got wind of the fact that Mehta asked for
an unpopular bowing-technique to produce a sound which he preferred that
didn't sit well with the musicians in question.  Isn't appropriate to offer
some hard facts or evidence? As a juror it wouldn't take me very long to
render a verdict of not-guilty.

Norman M. Schwartz