From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:51:46 +0200
Ron Ackermann wrote:

>I have been in the market for a complete set of the Mozart piano sonatas
>for quite some time.  Can the list's piano experts comment on this set,
>Kraus' Sony set (currently available at Berkshire for $19.95) and any
>other sets that are currently available and recommended?

IMO Kraus' classic recordings are very much to be recommended and at
this price I would *run* to get them.  Unfortunately Gieseking's effort
which has returned to the catalogue some time ago is well below his own
standards.  If memory serves Walter Klien also recorded them.  For some
reason I don't have them but that should be remedied as what I have heard
of his Mozart is very good indeed.  Some people are very fond of Uchida's
set on Philips but I find that too *romantic* really.  Most of the time
those same *other people* think Maria Joao Pires is the worst pianist in
the world but I happen to like her first set on Denon very much.  I would
avoid her second traversal where there are much less shades and hues and
too much fortissimo ;) The single best recording of a Mozart sonata I know
is K.310 by Lipatti.

Philip