From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 14:56:46 -0500
Peter Goldstein wrote:

>Kevin Sutton commented:
>
>>... Alfred Brendel's mug on an album cover does little to fire me up for
>>Beethoven.
>
>My wife thinks Alfred Brendel is one of the sexiest men alive, and would
>need no encouragement to listen to something with his picture on it.  Which
>leads into a new thread--using sex to sell classical music.  I suppose it
>had to happen, and I suppose I shouldn't be upset if it gets more people to
>listen, but I could really do without those pouty pictures of Sarah Chang.

I don't have a problem with seeing attractive people on album covers in
attractive poses etc.  And, my comments about Periah and Brendel were truly
intended as tongue in cheek.  What I do have a problem with is covers like
the recent Lara St.  John cover where she was airbrushed into looking like
a school girl and then covered her naked breast with her fiddle.  On a BACH
disc no less.  This is too far.  If Sarah wants to pout and A.S.  Mutter
wants to pose, it's cool by me.  At the risk of revealing too much, I would
be happy if Josh Bell was on every cd cover, regardless of who's playing!

Kevin Sutton