From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 13:44:38 -0700
Now that Sir Paul McCartney has been thoroughly beaten to to death, I
would like to throw out a related thread.  It is easy to dismiss efforts
by Pop musicians dabbling in CM or to groan at CM artists appearing on Pop
recordings but consider the following.  I am not a huge Jazz listener,
however, I became familiar with Branford Marsalis through his guest
appearances on Pop albums and this week I saw his brother Wynton in
concert for the second time.  I still am not a huge Jazz listener but
I do occasionally buy Jazz music.

My point...I am an example of somebody who was roped in through crossover.
Of course somewhere in the bohemian coffee joints of Greenwhich Village
sits a man in a beret listening to Coltrane saying that I don't know *$#t
about Jazz.  Likewise, here we sit at our keyboards bemoaning the lack of
Furtwaengler on PBS.  Yes I am ignorant about Jazz, just like there are
people who consider the soundtrack to Titaic to be CM.

Does crossover do more harm then good? If it were not for crossover, I
would not have heard what fine jazz I have heard.

Steve M. (Northern Virginia)