From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 17:36:28 -0400
I am listening to a cd I got (at Berkshire, where else?) called
"Orchestral Songs" ...  you fans of late but not-too-late Romantic
music will find this an interesting addition to your collections.
Just the other day we were talking about Joseph Marx.  Sometimes he is
neo-classical, other times neo-something else.  His dates are 1882-1964.
In these songs, the orchestral parts are gorgeous and lush, reminiscent
of Richard Strauss at times.  The four songs of Transfigured Year
(Verklaertes Jahr) are positively breathtaking, especially the shimmering
orchestrations.  Composed in 1930, tuneful as all get-out!

The soprano is Angela Maria Blasi and the mezzo is Stella Doufexis.
Bochum Symphony Orchestra, Steven Sloane, conductor.  ASV 1164.

Mimi Ezust