From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 11:33:50 -0700
Eric James:

>I, for one, resent ALW's use of Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in Jesus
>Christ Superstar.  Either itwas cynical theft (Hey, they'll never know)
>or the man is woefully illiterate in the standard repertoire.  I can't,
>however, see what is so bad about his music otherwise.  As for John
>Williams, the man is a film composer.

And ALW is a Broadway composer.  It's *Broadway* for Zeus' sake.  It should
be taken as such.  I just think on "Oooooooak-lahoma, where the wind goes
whistlin' thru the trees" and ALW is not anything unexpected.  Maybe even
better than par.

IIRC, ALW and Tim Rice were in their late teens in the 60s when they penned
JCS.  They could easily have been "woefully illiterate in the standard
repertoire".

Perhaps "we" (I at least) would like JW/ALW better if they did not attempt
"serious" CM.  But: if you were a film/broadway composer, wouldn't you? I
imagine I would at least try.

I bet no listers liked "Standing Stone" either.  Not that I did.

Bob K.