From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:41:35 -0500
Bernard wrote:

>Relevant to this discussion, I just gave a few hundred dollars to a
>fund to keep the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts on.  The last thing this
>society needs is another source of accessible culture disappearing.  I
>have no idea how large the audience for these programs is- I assume at
>least a few million.  But I have this romantic notion that some young
>person out on the plains somewhere, or in the inner city for that matter,
>will hear these broadcasts and perhaps be inspired to probe a bit further
>into the world of art and music.

I had to drive from Denver to the East Coast earlier this year.
This was on a Saturday.  I turned on the Met Opera broadcast in eastern
Colorado, then followed it from station to station, FM to AM, as I moved
east.  Kansas is longer than La Traviata.  At least you can get classical
music throughout the state.

I hope you are right either about the person on the plains or in the
inner city.

Mitch Friedfeld