From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 03:43:11 -0000
Female Schatz <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Hi everyone.  I just recently moved from Anchorage, Alaska to suburban
>Washington, DC.  I went from subscribing to the Anchorage Symphony
>Orchestra to being a subscriber of the National Symphony Orchestra and
>wow, what a difference!

Funny, I had a similar experience 43 years ago.  I moved from what were
then the outskirts of Anchorage to Falls Church, Virginia, and was able to
make a similar comparison.  Actually, I'd played in the Anchorage Symphony,
and I was in no way surprised that the National Symphony should be that
much better.  In fact, I was disappointed in their venue, Constitution
Hall, where the sound was reasonably weak at seats that I could afford.
Before I had moved to Alaska, I used to spend all my paper-route money on
hearing the Pittsburgh Symphony in a place called Syria Mosque.  Great
orchestra, great sound.  Anyone on the list remember those places in the
50s?

Richard, who invites you to visit his classical music site at
http://opuspocus.ca