From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 09:23:17 -0700
Lloyd Sitkoff asks for opinions on (inter alia) WGMS in Washington.

The station has been the subject of recent thread, either here or on
BMUSIC-L, as a result of being the only 'classical' station here in DC
in the mornings, since WETA's change in programming.

I listen to WGMS habitually in the car and the office, as well as while
working on the computer.  However, it drives me nuts with what I perceive
to be an increasing frequency of commercials or nonsensical chatter.  Also,
I am getting tired of only getting movements of works instead of complete
works.

That being said, it does as good a job as I have come to expect of radio
in the last seven years living in the US.  And Dennis Owens makes me giggle
on the way to work at least a couple of mornings a week, which can't be a
bad thing!  Announcers are not all they might be -- but none have made the
classic slip I heard in the UK in the early days of Classic FM when Henry
Kelly (I believe) announced the conductor to be a certain "Mr. Slav
Rostropovich."

I'm not surprised WGMS has made the finals -- it is certainly one of the
more visible stations as a result of its location -- and I suspect there
is not a whole slew of competition!

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA