From:
Todd Michel McComb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 17:11:50 -0700
Dave Runnion writes:

>This new acronym, HIP, makes me slightly uncomfortable.  It is of course
>sort of cool, sort of, well, hip, but there is something vaguely snobby,
>elitist, and insulting about it.

There is certainly an implication behind the term which seems to suggest
that, once informed, a performer will choose to apply this knowledge in
particular kinds of ways.  However, why not take the term as it stands? If
you are informed, declare yourself HIP, if it suits you, and get on with
what you want to do.

I will be interested to see what the next term is, after more people have
become well-informed, perhaps even done performances in the strictest
possible "HIP" way, and then elected to do them otherwise after that.  Do
they become uninformed? We'll see, and I expect the rhetoric to really fly.

Todd McComb