From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 01:08:31 +0100
David Orea C. wrote:

>Perhaps some cello lovers agree with MHO if I say that this is the
>greatest cello work ever compossed.

I'm a professional cellist, to preface.  It certainly is the most
difficult.  I haven't played it yet, I'm a little intimidated, thought
at this point I think I'm old enough to tackle it.

But I can't agree that it is the greatest cello work ever composed.  I
would suggest the C Major Bach Suite, The A Major Beethoven Sonata (or
are we just talking about solo works?) or the first Britten Suite, for
its breadth of emotion and use of all the possibilities of the instrument.
I find the Kodaly a bit to thorny to be the *best*

Dave Runnion
www.serafinotrio.com