From:
Peter Wisse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 15:31:43 +0100
Rod DeCecco wrote:

>Stefan Askenase (not noted for his technical prowess), one of the finest
>interpreters of Chopin's music ever to make a recording of same.

I agree, though I have never seen any recordings of Askenase, but I heard
him a couple of times, in an all-Chopinrecital, in The Hague, Askenase was
defenitely wonderful, not always technically perfect, he was not very young
any more, but his Chopin-playing was really exceptional.  Another in the
same class, although technically much more reliable, but also not in the
great pianists series, I can't imagine why not, is Alexander Uninski, I
have old vinyl records, of the Chopin ballades and two sides of mazurkas,
never heard them better.

Peter Wisse
The hague