From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 11:55:06 +0100
Since some time I am waiting for some messages dealing with Elliot Carters
new symphony (Symphonia "Sum fluxae pretium spei").  DG released this work
coupled with the clarinet concerto last year (Oliver Knussen, BBC SO and
London Sinfonietta).  I am deeply impressed and this recording convinces
me again that Carter is one of my favourite American composers.  Apparently
Carter composed the three movements of this work more or less independently
and put them together to form this symphony (there was a recording of the
first set *Partita* on Erato with Barenboim some years ago IIRC) -
nevertheless this is a very uniform and convincing work.  Outstanding
playing and sound and an IMHO great work.  Any comments?

Achim Breiling