From:
David Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 20:12:57 -0400
Walter Meyer queried:

>But if the recorded works' identification, rather than their description
>was in error, what do Rouse's Symphony No. 1 and his Phantasmata sound
>like?

Rouse's first is a slow, dark, tortured fantasy that is very (to me)
moving.  Phantasmata is a tri-partite work very obviously by the same hand.
I have the CD you thought you were getting and like it very much.  I wish,
however, I had a recording of the first time I heard the symphony.  It was
about 1995 or 1996 in a Chicago Symphony Concert, Zinman on the podium.  I
was on my way home but immediately I detoured to my local CD store and,
very luckily, found the recording.  It's worth seeking out.

David Simmons