From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 07:07:44 -0400
Peter Horvath on Wesler-Moest:

>The question here, I think, is doing the job and earning the respect of
>the musicians.  In no way, shape or form is Welser-Most on a par with
>Bernstein.  The musicians of the LPO called him "frankly worst than most".
>I think that speaks for itself.

No. What it probably speaks for is the musicians' use of a not so clever
pun rather than having to rethink what they've been doing for years.  Or,
heaven forfend, work harder.  As a certain composer/conductor once said,
"Tradition is just sloppiness." W-M has made it to one of the peaks of the
CM world at the tender age of 38.  Does anyone seriously believe that he
did so by being worse than most? No, he made it in part by being better
than most, by being able to enforce a vision over the slovenliness of
musicians whose ox was being gored.

Best,
Mitch Friedfeld