From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:23:27 -0400
Many composers make use of national or regional folk music in their
composing.  When listening to the music of Dvorak or Bartok, I can be aware
of the music's idiom without knowing the specific tunes or the manner in
which they are incorporated into the musical texture.  However, when I
listen to the music of an American composer such as Charles Ives, I find
that the folk tunes, spirituals and hymns which are quoted are distracting.
I can't avoid pausing and thinking:  "A ha!  There is Turkey in the Straw."

How do others feel about this and what might I do to get past it?

Ed