From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:15:00 -0700
The SF Bay Area now has *one* classical-music station.  KDFC has started an
extensive ad campaign about "easy listening." And, this morning, the news:

   KDFC Dropping Live Broadcasts From Met
    Sylvia Rubin / SF Chronicle

   Wednesday, October 13, 1999

   Classical music station KDFC- FM (102.1) will no longer carry live
   Metropolitan Opera performances on Saturday mornings.  The station,
   which has aired the Lincoln Center performances for four years, was
   losing listeners at that hour, said Keith Koppmeier, KDFC marketing
   director.

   The station's offer to broadcast the operas at a later time was turned
   down by the sponsor, Texaco, which does not permit tape delay.  "We
   weren't permitted to find another time slot, and we couldn't find
   another station to air the performances live, so we are discontinuing
   it," Koppmeier said.

   The Met has a 60-year tradition of live radio broadcasts for its 20
   Saturday matinee performances.  The season begins December 12.

   KDFC has no other opera programs on its schedule, Koppmeier said.

Janos Gereben/SF