From:
William Strother <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:44:32 -0700
It is my long-held view that a major cause, and perhaps THE major cause of
the lack of true quality and individuality in present-day conductors is the
development or rapid transportation.  It has given rise to the prevalence
of conductors holding two or more posts as principal music directors
simultaneously.  That goes back to von Karajan's varied posts in the
early postwar years -- you all know the old story:

Cabdriver: Where do you want to go, sir?
Karajan: It doesn't matter.  They want me everywhere.

This has led to a homogeneity in orchestral styles that can be very good
from the standpoint of execution but disastrous from that of individuality.

It's hard to fault anyone.  There is so much money to be made this way.
Suggestions?

Bill S