From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:32:18 -0500
I've never heard it.  I have indeed heard *of* it and will be buying the
CD.  Bennett is Robert Russell Bennett, Broadway orchestrator extraordinare
(he arranged, among other things, classic shows by Rodgers and Hart,
Rodgers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Loewe, and the Gershwins).  He was also
a very well-trained composer, who studied, IIRC, with Boulanger.  There was
a great fad for Lincoln among American composers in the 1930s and 1940s.
Daniel Gregory Mason also wrote a Lincoln symphony.  Herbert Elwell wrote
a cantata based on Lincoln's speeches.  Gershwin, at the time of his death,
considered setting the Gettysburg Address.  This little byway might make an
interesting monograph, a la Holmes.  You never know when such information
might come in handy when you're trying to solve a baffling crime.

As to Bennett's symphony, it (along with Mason's) was included in a book
published in the 1930s called Symphony Themes.  It was one of my mother's
textbooks.  The editors tried to present what they thought was likely to be
the canon.  No Mahler symphony past, I think, No.  4, no Bruckner symphony
other than Nos.  3 and 4, only the "Classical" symphony of Prokofiev,
Shostakovich's First, and symphonies by E.  B.  Hill, Mason, Bennett, Bloch
("America:  An Epic Rhapsody"), Hadley, d'Indy, Chausson, and Goldmark.
In one of Oscar Levant's memoires, I read of the premiere of Bennett's
symphony.  Naturally, his Broadway pals attended.  After the end, one of
them remarked, "John Wilkes Booth didn't kill Lincoln; Robert Russell
Bennett did."

To be fair, all the Bennett I've heard I've liked:  the Violin Concerto,
the Suite of Old American Dances, Hexapoda, and a quartet for 4 flutes.
Consequently, I'm interested in actually hearing the symphony.

Steve Schwartz