From:
Bonnie Granat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:17:03 -0500
Robert Peters wrote:

>Oh, I am a pretty vain person sometimes.  And maybe because of this
>tendency in myself I dislike bombast composers like Strauss, Liszt and
>Wagner.  But maybe Bernard is vain, too, and thus cant stand vanity
>being criticized.  In the end music maybe says more about the listener
>than about the compser...

Exactly. ;)

Actually, I joined this list because I thought *maybe* someone had a
copy of this CD they wanted to sell or knew where I could get one (highly
unlikely, because it's out of print):

Philips 438876 CD (I Musici)

On that CD is Antonio Vivaldi: Concerto for Strings in A RV 159, the
performance that you'll find listed online in all the classical radio
stations' playlists -- the CD the stations dutifully announce, right
down to all the details above -- but that cannot be purchased anywhere,
as far as I have been able to ascertain.

It is the only version that does it justice, and I am just nutty about
that piece.  I want to own that performance.  I own several others that
are just not as good, in my opinion.

I am far less musically aware as you all are, so it's been interesting
reading your posts.  I'm learning a lot by being here, but I confess
that my initial purpose a month ago in signing on here was to inquire
about that CD.

I've contacted some online companies that say they'll search for it,
but I have heard nothing back.  The CD just is not for sale anywhere,
apparently.

Perhaps if I cannot find the CD, and can only listen to it when WCRB
in Boston plays it, someone can tell me why stations broadcast the CD
number and the performance and so forth when the CD is unavailable.
I think that's cruelty of a particularly severe sort.

I've thought of asking the station if I could pay them to make me a copy,
but I don't think that's going to be warmly received.  I communicated
with I Musici and got on their mailing list, but they were of no help
in finding the CD.

Does anyone here have that CD? Any brilliant ideas?

Thanks!

Bonnie Granat | www.GranatEdit.com
Cambridge, Massachusetts, US