From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 16:06:11 -0400
Janos Gereben wrote:

>Amazin' Sarah Chang did something impossible tonight in Davies Hall.
>She made superb music out of the Prokofiev First Violin Concert. ...
>
>Michael Tilson Thomas was a restrained and supportive partner and
>accompanist, and then he too performed Sarah's value-added trick.  Just as
>the Prokofiev represents a physical challenge (and not really great music),

What's with this bashing of Prokoffiev's First Violin Concerto? It was
one of the first pieces of "contemporary" music that I came to hear and
like while in my teens.  There's not a movement in the piece which isn't
fascinating and exciting, from the first movement's melodious beginning
(played by the solo violin) which becomes more sinister and then
frenetically almost out of control to return to the serene opening
passage played this time by a wind (flute, I think) w/ the violin playing
accompanying scales before assuming the last word, followed by the Puckish
second movement which seems to break off in mid-phrase, and then the
reassuring last movement.

Maybe I've been spoiled having been brought up on the Szigeti performance
and later hearing it performed live at the Kennedy Center w/ Vonk
conducting the St.  Louis Symphony by that remarkable teenager (at that
time) Hil(l)ary Hahn.  I'm glad you've now also heard a performance that
you can praise.

Walter Meyer