From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 23:41:04 +0000
I cast a fly over my good friend Don and he rose to it:

>The Don Satzes of the world have period instruments/HIP in their hearts,
>souls, and bloodstream, and will continue loving to listen and buy those
>recordings indefinitely.  Personally, I'll love them as I do my wife -
>unconditionally and FOREVER.

Don, there's absolutely definitely no way I'm going to try to come between
you and Mrs.  Satz, but put a note in your diary to come back to me twenty
years down the line, if we're both still around, and we'll check up on the
other part of that answer.

My long-term experience of music is that some loves do last, others fade
away and new ones arise.  The problem is that there's no way of telling, at
the beginning, which ones are still going to be around twenty-plus years
later.

Stimulated by a thread on another CM list, I spent part of today watching
a video "Goodbye Cream" of the farewell concert that Eric Clapton, Jack
Bruce (still one of my all-time favourite rock musicians) and Ginger Baker
gave at the Albert Hall some thirty years ago when the tensions between
Bruce and Baker led to the break-up of Cream.  The parts I enjoyed most now
were probably the ones that I liked least then, and vice versa.  Time is a
strange thing, and Don, I don't believe that even you can see all that far
into it.

Ian Crisp