From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 18:25:43 -0400
I'd hire Claudio Abaddo.

I would seriously consider Riccardo Muti.  I was never very impressed with
Muti, but after moving to the Philadelphia area at the end of his tenure I
have heard more of his music making.  This is a conductor I underestimated.
A distinctive and very talented musical personality who moved into a very
difficult situation in Philadelphia.  How many years of the glorious
Philadelphia sound from Stowkowski and Ormandy? Muti changed that, and
appears to have been very popular.  How much Philadelphia's inability to
finance a Concert Hall where a major musical organization can record
frustrated him I don't know.  But that has been a long term problem in
Philly.  I would be happy to see him in Boston.

What can other list members tell me about Enrique Batiz? I just got the
Naxos recording of the Rachmaninov Symphonic Dances and The Isle of the
Dead.  Very nice.

Whatever happens I hope Boston appoints someone who challenges my
musical interests.  Preferably, with performances I like.  But if need
be, challenge me.  Don't bore me.  Technical competence is nice, but not
enough.  A conductor with a musical competence that is distinctive and
compelling over a small repertoire is OK if the ego can tolerate guests
who can complement the Music Director.  Plan the season to both perform
the basic repertoire, and stretch musical horizons.  I've often wondered
why large orchestras like the BSO seem to feel the 'whole' orchestra must
be 'used' every week.  How about following and using some of the talents
and skills of orchestra members.  If capable and interested in 'HIP'
performances, schedule a few weeks and see how it goes.  A baroque
festival, 20th century festival, a festival of music commissioned or
first performed by the BSO.  Any other suggestions?

Nothing wrong with change.

Finally, how does the Berlin Philharmonic negotiate contracts with it's new
Music Directors? If the orchestra decides to make an offer, can the person
(Rattle) receiving the offer decline.  Or, are these issues negotiated
before the orchestra votes.  What if a better offer comes in? I don't know
how musicians handle this, but I do know what 'Sports Super Stars'!  would
do.

Regards to all,

Tom Connor