From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:55:55 -0400
Bob Yoon wrote:

>Didn't Mehta also raise the level of the Montreal Sym?

I think he did from what I heard from sources unremembered.  But Dutoit
did even more if what I heard from the orchestra in a Boston concert a few
years ago is true.  And it was that night.

Dutoit is one of those conductors who, to me anyway, seems to be more of an
orchestra builder than a great conductor.  (I think this was brought up a
little while ago on the list.) I have never heard a recording of his that
I have liked all that much.  I've heard him live three times, once with
Montreal, once with a pretty bad Mahler 5 with the Philharmonia, I think,
and a worse concert with his new Paris orchestra a couple of years ago.  If
he's the orchestra builder he seems to be, he's got his work cut out there.
That was not good playing.

Roger Hecht