From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 15:44:19 -0400
Joel Hill replies to Danny Tan:

>Scharwenka #1 and #4: Both very tuneful, enjoyable and accessible

Which prompts a general pointer to the Hyperion Romantic Concerto series.

>Paderewski: Concerto in a and the Polish Fantasy - Listen to Earl Wild.

How could I have forgotten this one!

>Sgambati: Very melodic and grand - Is Bolet's version ever gonna CD'ed?

Another "sleeper", it prompted me to investigate Sgambati's chamber music.

>Bortkiewicz: #1 - Somewhat exotic and very accessible.

More in the Rachmaninov style.  Would be a spectacular success if were
played in concert

>Khachaturian: Others might list this one - No one should be without it.

Another "how could I have forgotten this".

>Rubinstein #4: (That's Anton, for the uninitiated, and not Artur or Arthur)
>An old warhorse that needs to be played more in concert

I've know this one since my college days and was thrilled when it was
reissued on CD.

>Saint-Saens: All of them - even the works that aren't called concertos

I am especially fond of 1 and its "Beyond the Fringe" every-coda-cliche
finale to the first movement.

>Scriabin: Needs to be heard more

Which reminds me of the Rimsky Korsakov, which gets a surprising amount
of airplay on Boston's WCRB "Classical music is to relax you" station.

len.